Because rainforests are an absolutely essential resource:
- Indigenous people have thrived in rainforests since the beginning of time, their lives and spirituality are inextricably linked to the plants, animals and flow of life in this rich environment. They help us to learn what we need to know about the rainforest. Many of them are facing extinction as the rainforests diminish.
- Almost half of the prescribed drugs that are used in the USA come from rainforest plants.
- Children with leukemia are treated with a drug from a rainforest flower.
- Malaria and heart disease are treated with some medicines made from rainforest plants.
- Without the rainforest to soak up rain and release it slowly, floods and droughts become more common. Global warming and climate change are accentuated.
- Rainforests are a place for migratory birds to live during harsh Northern winters.
- Many species of birds, animals, and plants will not be able to find the right conditions they need in order to live, and they will become extinct.
- Costa Rica is a very small country in Central America, with its widest point being only 185 miles across. It is smaller than West Virginia but contains approximately 500,000 species of animals, birds, and plants.
Risks to the rainforest
We need to change the way we use rainforest lands to keep them rich and verdant, our atmosphere clear and healthy and the abundance that thrives here available to future generations:
- Farmers burn the rainforest to plant crops, and the crops grow well for the first few years, but soon the soil looses its nutrients and is no longer good for crops so the farmers need to cut more rainforest to plant new crops. Burning the forest releases carbon, which causes changes in wind currents and rainfall around the world.
- Burning the forest adds to the greenhouse effect. Carbon dioxide traps heat in the lower atmosphere, which may cause global warming.
- Loggers cut down trees to make wood for industry and construction, and the rainforest is destroyed.
- Developers cut down rainforests to build homes and businesses.
- Miners discover gold, iron and oil in rainforests, and destroy the rainforest to make money on selling these products.
- Cattle ranchers cut down rainforests to create grazing land for cows. Unbelievable as it sounds, within 5 years the land is so exhausted that it takes 5 acres to support one cow!!!!!!!!!!!!
- When the rainforest is cut and the soil erodes the land becomes a desert.
We believe that the rainforest is a storehouse of treasures. We vow to do everything we can to save it. With the vanishing rainforest goes the future of our planet. We have to be the generation that makes a difference!