Are you familiar with the term ‘Rainforest’?
As a name suggests, it is a type of forest that gets a lot of rain. And, such forests are immensely important for our entire planet.
In simple words, these forests are known as ‘Rainforest’s’ because they receive tons of rainfall every year. Did your kid have an idea about this fascinating ecosystem? And, is he or she wondering to know how these forests affect the food that we consume? Well, there are lots of things that every individual need to know about Rainforests. Well, in this post, we are decided to list some incredible facts about Rainforests for kids. But, before knowing about these, you should be aware of some actual terms of these forests.
What Are Rainforests?
A rainforest is a type of forest that gets a high quantity of rains every year and its area is warm, wet, and woodland. According to optimistic studies, the forest gets more than 80 inches (approximately 2000 millimetres) of rain within a single year.
Most rainforests are located in Brazil, and some you can find in Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Bolivia. According to Biologists, over half of all plant and animal species are found in the rainforest. The Experts of Pharmaceuticals says, more than ¼ of all medicines are an extract from these forests.
Types Of Rainforests:
There are only two main types of rainforests that are:
· Temperate Rainforests
· Tropical Rainforests
Well, these types of rainforests are located between the tropics and the polar circles of the Earth. You can found such forests in a couple of regions around the globe like western North America, south-eastern Australia and New Zealand.
You can find different types of animals at temperate rainforests like bears, grey wolves, Siberian tigers, snow leopards pumas (mountain lion), kangaroos and wombats.
Such types of rainforests are located in the tropics. You can found them in the specific areas that close to the equator such as Asia, Africa, Central America and the Pacific Islands.
There you can find animals such as jaguar, monkey, leopard, parrot, iguana, chimpanzee, gorilla, Indian cobra, and orangutan etc. If you want to track a high school GPA of your child, then visit calculator-online.net to utilize GPA calculator. You can monitor high school GPA within a couple of seconds with the ease of this tool.
Facts About Rainforests For Kids:
· The 4 square mile patch of rainforest are covered with 150 species of butterflies, 400 species of birds, 1500 flowering, and 750 species of trees
· The trees of tropical rainforests are amazingly covered with canopy as the rains falling can take maximum 10 minutes to reach the surface of the ground
· Except for Antarctica, rainforests are found around all the continents of the earth, because the environment of Antarctica is too cold
· There are more than 6 million square miles of the rainforest, but less than half of that found around the world because of deforestation. Studies found that, if this deforestation continues in the same way, then only 5-10 species will go lost within 10 years
· The IUFRO found that there are around 80% of the flowers which are found in the rainforests of Australia and aren’t found anywhere else throughout the globe
· Around the tropical rainforest, the insects found which create the majority of the living creatures
· According to Geographical studies, several tribes in Brazil still live in the rainforests, and these tribes don’t have any contact with the outside world. The people of these tribes are dependent on these forests to fulfil their daily needs
· The fascinating fact is that the tropical rainforest supply the bulk amounts of oxygen that we take in our daily lives
· According to optimistic research, rainforests are the legit source that maintains our entire provision of safe drinking water. We get 1/5th part of the freshwater through the tropical rainforests. The Amazon basin is the exact source!
· An expert says, there are around 70% of the plants found in Amazon rainforest that can assist in treating cancer. Additionally, the U.S. Cancer Institute declares that these plants are highly effective and utilized to treat the cancer
· The Rainforest of Amazon is too large; if this forest were a country, then studies show that this become the 9th largest country of the world
· There are migratory birds are live in the rainforest during winter, and these birds come back in summer and spring region
· The rainforests which are located in Europe have 570 species of butterfly, and the forest of Peru only has 1300 species of butterflies
· Studies found that there are some rainforests around the globe which gets over 100 inches of rainfall nearly every year
· In Tasmania rainforest, some pine trees are found that can live up to 2000 years
Layers of Rainforests:
There are four layers of rainforest mentioned below:
· Emergent Layer
· Canopy Layer
· Understory Layer
· Forest Floor
What Do People get From Rainforests?
There are ample of things that we get from the Rainforest that includes:
· Spices such as ginger, coconut, allspice, pepper, cinnamon, paprika, clove, and vanilla
How can you help the rainforest:
You can help the rainforest by choosing eco friendly products, lowering your meat intake, buying local organic produce, using products with out palm oil,and donating to charities like ours that work hard everyday to protect and take care of the rainforest and the animals that live in it.
To donate please click on this link.
Every amount helps.
The Kids Saving the Rainforest staff